Monday, July 13, 2009

Internal Medicine

IM was quite a ride. My school had me at 2 different hospitals with 2 completly different systems. I thoroughly enjoyed the program through our main teaching hospital, but the second month through the military hospital was very hectic. The military hospital was not very supportive in my opinion. I got the distinct feeling that some physicians were only working there to "pay-back" the government. The best teaching physicians seemed to be non-military. While my team was better than most, a fellow med student was put on a team that would never inform her of when rounding would begin or even where it would begin. Very hectic.

I thought our main teaching hospital did a GREAT job in IM though. One of my faculty members I would consider a complete genius, and I would gladly work with him again.

IM residents work very hard here. I definitely give them 2 thumbs up for enduring such a rigorous program. After these two months, I have definitely learned to appreciate the field, but I can't see myself in Internal Medicine.

3 comments:

Rachel Carl & CO. said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. Its always nice to get into the mind of a med student, since my husband will be going to medical school next year. He is actually interviewing at el paso in the morning. I was just doing some research on the school myself, found a forum, and saw your blog and-voila, that's how I found you. hope you don't think its weird. =)
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write. Have you read the book blue collar, blue scrubs?

FrogDoc said...

Carl Family - I have not read that book yet. How have you enjoyed it? I wish your husband the best of luck.

Medical Transcription Service said...

My name is Jay and I am the operations manager at V Transcription, LLC. Its nice to read your blog about medical school.

I am hoping to see more blogs from you.
Thanks,
Jay
www.vtranscriptions.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9fD9lBx_Ao
info@vtranscriptions.com
1-800-723-4308