Saturday, September 13, 2008

D.O. degree more holistic?

The D.O. degree was originally started by an M.D. who was dissatisfied with the current practice of medicine. He made a number of changes and constructed the D.O. degree. Originally the degree had a different value. It was described as more holistic and was taught a little differently.

However over the year, the M.D. and D.O. curriculum's have basically merged. M.D. curriculums picked up where they were lacking, and now D.O. schools usually only have 1 extra class called OMM for Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine. This 1 class is the only difference between an M.D. and a D.O.

Do not tell me that I am more qualified for being an M.D. or that I am less holistic for not being a D.O. The arguement is useless because we are all trained the same. I have talked to MANY D.O.'s, and I have not had a single one disagree with me.

I have also heard that D.O.'s are more holistic because D.O. schools look at more than numbers when picking students. This is also false. D.O. students go through interviews just like M.D. students. We both have relatively high grade point averages and test scores. We both have older students in our classes. We both submit CV's.

People need to quit bickering and realize that M.D.'s are no better practicing medicine than D.O.'s and D.O.'s are no better at making me feel more comfortable than M.D.'s. Sure everyone has a personal study of n=1, but I don't want to hear it (sorry if that sentence doesn't make sense to everyone).

Now go hug!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a student at UNTHSC's medical masters program applying to Texas schools, and I really enjoyed your post about selecting a med school. I have a few interviews behind me with hopefully a few more on the way, and I found myself having some trouble deciding which one will fit me best. This was very helpful.

Cheers!